Transacting business, whether online or offline, has its risks. There are unscrupulous people in all walks of life and the internet is no different. At Lioney we treat every instance of fraud, abuse or spam extremely seriously and do our very best to protect our users and make your visit to Lioney safe and enjoyable. But we also encourage you to be on your guard and so, to help you stay safe, we have pulled together some key information on things to watch out for and some top tips. We have zero tolerate agains Fraud, Scam and other illegal activities.
Remember that Lioney has a limited manpower and ads are not reviewed before they go live on the site. Lioney does not offer any sort of buyer or seller protection programs.
Please take note of the reminders below when transacting business especially with people you do not know.
Buying & Selling – top tips for staying safe:
1. Make sure that the seller you have been dealing with is reliable and easy to do business with. You can do searches on Google or Yahoo! to search for their names and contact numbers to check for their feedbacks.
2. If you are buying an item from a seller for the first time, it is best to meet up with him in a secure, safe public place to inspect the item you will be buying. Never send the payments in advance to a seller you do not know.
3. Never send or wire money to oversea sellers. In case the seller is ourside your country, you can use paypal to have a secure payment.
4. If possible, ask for the seller’s official receipt with contact numbers in case of item defects and replacements. If the seller has no official receipt, ask for the seller’s mobile number and landline number.
5. For buyers of cars and real estate, The last thing you want is purchasing a stolen car or a piece of land that has a fake title. Do not hesitate to report to the police anyone who suspiciously sells stolen goods.
1. Do not send your items to a buyer until a payment arrangement has been finalized.
2. It is best to meet up with a buyer in a safe, secure public place.
3. If the payments are made in cash, try to check the authenticity of the paper bills.
4. If you are dealing with a large amount of money (that is, in millions if you are dealing with real estate, cars and other big-ticket items), arrange to meet in a bank. Ask the bank’s staff to assist you with the transaction.
Accommodation – top tips for staying safe:
1. Go and view properties in person or ask your friend to go with you.
2. Never send or wire money to landlords for the first payment.
3. Make sure that the papers are clean. Check with authorities such as the LTO, the respective city hall and other government offices that may verify the ownership and authenticity of documents.
Jobs - top tips for staying safe:
1. You should find out as much as you can about the company from independent resources like Google, Friends, Relative and others before taking up a position. If you are an employer, follow up on references and check on their authenticity.
2. Meet your prospective employers/ employees face to face.
3. You should NEVER have to provide your bank account details when applying for a job (this should only be once you have accepted an offer and started with the company). If any jobs ask you for them, please report it to us immediately.
4. Unfortunately some scammers do target job seekers so please make yourself aware of the common scams out there. All the usual common sense rules apply – if it looks too good to be true it probably is!
Personal - top tips for staying safe:
1. Meet in a Public Place for Your First Meeting.
2. Ask for a Recent Photo.
3. Do not Provide Personal Information Too Soon.
4. Communicate your limites clearly.
There are some dodgy people out there, and despite our efforts to keep them from Lioney and protect you, occasionally a bogus ad or buyer slips through. Read here for some common scams on the net to watch out for.
1. You’ve won the lottery! If you feel you never buy any lottery online, please avoid this email.
2. An overseas relative has left you their fortune! It is a big lie. please avoid such email like this.
3. Make a fortune, Work from home. Many work from home offers are “pyramid schemes” which require you to recruit other members in order to get paid.
4. Whole sale with a very low price. Before further action, please check sellers feedback with google.
Harassment or abuse
We don’t tolerate harassment or abuse of our Lioney users and take reports of this nature very seriously. If you have experienced abuse or harassment in connection to either an ad on Lioney or an email received from a Lioney user then please report it to us.
If you have received an abusive email you might also want to forward the details of the abusive email to the senders email account provider (i.e., Yahoo!, Hotmail, AOL).
If you have any other security questions that are not answered above, then please contact us.